Take a dive with an Alumni

Kyu Williams, Journalist

I’m in the tribe of Dunbar and have often wondered from time to time who came up with our tribe names. Considering that Chavo was from the first generation of scholars to come from YMLA, he actually plays a big part in our school. Not only by culture and academic success but also by helping form a stronger brotherhood. Some of the activities that Chavo was involved in consisted of pretty much everything, they were the first class they had to make many of their own choices. For example, he was proud of being the guy to nominate Einstein as a tribe name and no one knew that. I know pretty mind-blowing right? Because of this one of the scholars here came up with one of the very own tribes we cheer on today.  Take a dive with an Alumni After learning this information I felt honored not just to be sitting next to him but interviewing him as well.

Chavo graduated from the class of 2018; meaning he was part of the first group of scholars to graduate from the Young Men’s Leadership Academy (YMLA).  At YMLA we have tribes that our scholars are divided; consisting of Einstein, Dunbar, Mandela, and Sugihara. Chavo stated that he was in the tribe of Einstein. 

In our interview, he begins to talk about how he misses walking down the hall laughing and playing around with his friends who he now refers to as his fellow brothers which he still stays in contact with today. Chavo begins to reminisce about memorable times when he came into this family of brotherhood back when it was still a Sixth Grade Center. His memories of the past were special to me because our principal, Mr. Rodney White, started this school with the mindset to help us become better leaders and build a strong fellowship among our brothers. I understood this because of our motto, “we are our brother’s keepers.” After he mentioned this it made me realize the importance of brotherhood and the relationships that I have made here as well.

Coach Chavo

Past decisions influence the future more than we realize. This continues us to a deeper understanding of how his choice to enroll in YMLA when he was younger led to what he’s doing now.  He talks about how he loved receiving help from faculty members also known as the “Dream Team”. Especially, Ms.Smith who is the high school English teacher and the head of our website today. He explained how her teachings helped him tremendously in college when it came to writing essays and more. Also how the scholars here helped build stronger social skills and relations.

He has now graduated from U.N.T with a major in film & directing. He’s now gotta whole ocean to explore and he´s riding wave by wave.